Friday, November 16, 2012

The King's English: 35 Reasons to Buy Local in Salt Lake City


  1. It's not a store. 
  2. It's a bookshop. 
  3. Try saying "I'm off to the bookshop" without smiling.
  4. "I'm off to the bookshop!"
  5. The shop is converted from an old house. Isn't it charming? I would have lived there before it was stuffed full of books.
  6. Okay you caught me, I'd still live there.
  7. The book signings held at King's English give you the feel of having a personal chat with the author. 
  8. Luckily, any books signing that's any book signing takes place through King's English. For example:
  9. These are the people responsible for me meeting Rick Riordan. 
  10. RICK RIORDAN. 
  11. These are the people responsible for me meeting Shannon Hale. 
  12. These are the people responsible for me meeting Ally Condie.
  13. These are the people responsible for me meeting Gail Carson Levine. 
  14. GAIL CARSON LEVINE. 
  15. These are the people responsible for me meeting Ally Carter. 
  16. These are the people responsible for me meeting Neal Shusterman. 
  17. Their weekly newsletter is the only email I ever read all the way through. Sorry if you email me.
  18. I once heard Shannon Hale say, "When a book is put up on display in Barnes and Noble, it's because somebody paid to have it there."
  19. "When a book in on display in King's English, it's because somebody read it, and they loved it."
  20. They have ivy-covered walls. 
  21. One of their booksellers this past year got engaged there. 
  22. The bookseller's boyfriend asked her to help him find a book- with a ring inside it. 
  23. Would it really matter WHO was proposing to you if they proposed like this. 
  24. I guess so but still. 
  25. Their reception was on the patio of the store bookshop.
  26. You know, next to the ivy-covered walls.
  27. I love their children's section. I'm not ashamed of children's books on Read My Print and neither are they.
  28. In fact, their children's section is the coolest part of the shop.
  29. You just about have to have a PhD in English literature to be hired.
  30. I can't get over that proposal.
  31. They're responsible for the signings with Ally Condie and Lemony Snicket I'm going to cover this month. 
  32. Working there is on my bucket list. 
  33. "I'm off to the bookshop."
  34. This fall, the shop is celebrating its 35th birthday. 
  35. If you're near Salt Lake, celebrate by heading up to The King's English and buying a book. 
www.kingsenglish.com





No comments: